Monday, October 4, 2010

The First of (hopefully) Many....

I did it! I went on a date...sort of. After exchanging a few witty emails and text messages with a guy that seemed to have a lot going for him, we went on a real date. By date, I mean I had a beer and he a Johnny Walker on the rocks at 5 o'clock in the evening. And we had an hour because I had to get home to relieve the babysitter of her duties. It was sort of like what I would imagine speed dating to be like, but without as many options.


Overall the entire hour was pretty uneventful and uninteresting. There were multiple awkward pauses where he looked at me as if pleading with his eyes for me to break the silence...and, of course, all I could do was giggle to myself. I am okay with silence, others are not, I felt no need to break the silence. I also took this opportunity to run through a mental to-do list of things I needed to do when I got home...might as well use this time productively! So, I just sat and sipped my beer, waiting to see what he would come up with. After what seemed like an eternity, but really was only about 15 seconds, he comes up with "So what are you doing for the holidays?" Ummmm....have I been out of the dating world for so long that this is a common first date question now? I understand that the holidays are coming up and all but this seemed a little silly...so I gave him the only answer I could think of, which was "I'll be spending it with my daughter and her dad." He replies "Oh"...and then more awkward silence.


Apparently my answer was not a normal response and I knew this because while we sat in more awkward silence he looked at me like I had just grown a third eyeball. Of course, I felt no need to explain myself if he wasn't going to ask for further information. Which he did not. So I took this opportunity to remember that I needed to get home quickly. He walked me out to the parking lot, we hugged awkwardly, and I went home. There was no "I'll call you", or "Let's do this again"...just an awkward hug and "Bye". So...I guess you could say it didn't go well and there probably won't be a second date.


Better luck next time I guess! :)

1 comment:

  1. yayyyy, thanks for the shout out haha...and i'm glad we could be your excuse to get out! :)

    ReplyDelete