Monday, September 5, 2011

Quite possibly the Worst Date Ever....

The online dating site was going nowhere fast, but as I waded through the emails from weirdos I took the time to respond to a few guys that seemed somewhat normal. By "somewhat normal" I don't mean amazing. I don't mean they blew me away with their wit and winning personality. I mean they didn't look like stoners, were over the age of 25, and seemed to possess at least some career aspirations. I responded in part to prove to myself that I am not a shallow human being, and while looks and physical attraction matters, it's not the only thing that matters...I was branching out and basing my interest on personality and common interests! I also responded to give the somewhat decent/normal guys a chance...don't get me wrong, some of them had a better chance at being drafted onto a Major League Baseball team despite their never having held a bat....but the other ones I at least replied to and waited to see what would happen. I prepared to be unimpressed, but still was able to pat myself on the back for giving the underdog a chance!

I ended up sending a couple emails back-and-forth with a guy that lived nearby. He was 33 years old (finally, someone older!), he had 2 kids of his own (more understanding to my single mom situation), and liked doing outdoor activities. I decided to give him a chance so when he asked me to meet him at Dave & Buster's for games and drinks I agreed...somewhat hesitantly as I wasn't super impressed by him yet, but I was excited to whoop him in Skeeball! Seriously, I'm pretty good.

I arrived at Dave & Buster's after work one night, I should mention as I left work I noticed that my throat started hurting and I felt like I was coming down with something. But I was prompt and received a call just as I was walking inside from my date saying that he was running late and would be there in about 15 minutes...so I told him he could find me at the bar. I then walked directly to the bar, found a seat, ordered a beer, and watched in hopes that the Red Sox would lose the current game. (Go Angels!) He arrived about 20 minutes later, sat down next to me, ordered water and some appetizers, and just kind of stared at me awkwardly for a minute. When I looked over he said "Is this a date or what?" Wow! What a charmer! I replied "You were late and I'd like to see the end of this game. You made me wait...so you can wait." He didn't take this well but we continued to sit there. He offered me another beer and when I realized he was just drinking water I pointed out the obvious and said "Didn't you suggest coming here to get a drink?", upon which I was informed that he was actually a recovering alcoholic and had just finished 12 months in AA. Huh?! I needed a stronger drink...but I settled for a larger beer; a much larger beer! We sat and chatted for a little bit until I started feeling a little more sick and mentioned this out loud...to which he said "Let's go play some air hockey!" Ummmm....okay. As we walked over to the air hockey table he stated, pretty boldly, that he was going to beat me and wanted to bet on it. So we bet...if he won he got a kiss (ugh! more motivation for me to win) and if I won he would buy me another beer (which I was definitely going to need). I was determined to win, but started feeling more flu-like symptoms with each passing moment. We played. I won (obviously). Didn't have to kiss the weirdo (yay!). Got another beer (much needed). And then had to watch Mr. AA pout about losing to a girl. On a first date is it not customary to let the girl win anyway? This guy was super competitive. He then suggested we play something else, basketball. Okay...I informed him I hadn't played since 7th grade but was game. He was ecstatic about this information and felt that this gave him an edge. I'm telling you, this guy was super competitive! He wanted to beat me. We played once...I won 27-25. So he suggested playing again...I agreed and won again 37-23. He then suggested we play one more time for him to redeem himself...I agreed and won again 40-25. This was embarrassing for him and I told him so. He agreed.

At this point I mentioned, again, that I was not feeling well and I was going to go home. He walked me out to my car and on the way said "Did you say you're not feeling well because you knew I was going to kiss you?" What?! There are so many things wrong with that question that I don't even know where to start! First, disgusting...why would he think I had any desire to have him kiss me?! Why can't he read body language? Second, I'm really not feeling well. Third, gross...why would he think I had any desire to have him kiss me?! I said "No. I'm really sick." Cue the awkward hug, we said goodbye and I left. Finally, I can go home, wash the awfulness of this date off of me and go to bed. Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. After you whooped his butt you should have said you were a womens basketball coach and almost got drafted unto the WNBA! -Shira

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some good times right there! How strange to get so competitive with a woman you want to date!

    ReplyDelete