Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Dating Game...

The following day (after the first date with motorcycle boy) I actually had plans...until every single one of them was cancelled for one reason or another, and I found myself completely available. I decided this was a good time to call my date from the previous night and let him know, in a casual way, that I was free to meet up later. Which he eagerly agreed to and we made plans to get pizza & beer while watching the game that was on that night. Awesome! I was super excited about seeing him again (which unfortunately made the rest of the day seem longer than usual). He showed up later that night at my apartment, we went out for a bit, returned to my home, and sat talking for HOURS before calling it a night way past my bedtime. We even talked about all the stuff you're not supposed to talk about on a first (or second) date and neither of us were phased by it, we actually were able to joke about the inappropriateness of it. It was perfect! Before he left that night we briefly discussed our plans for the next day as well, and agreed that should I have time we could get together then as well. Oh my! 3 days in a row...this was getting crazy! 

The next day I had plans until late afternoon and resisted calling or texting this new guy until a couple hours before I would be free. I let him know that I would be back in the City later and could meet him somewhere for a bit before I needed to get back home. We agreed to meet downtown and then head back to his neighborhood for a bite to eat around five. The pick up from downtown was a little chaotic as both of our phones lost service (thanks Verizon!) but it all worked out and when I saw him, he appeared cuter than I had remembered him being the past 2 days. Which was not a bad thing! We walked, we ate, we talked, we kissed, and then he took me home while we agreed to see each other again. :) 

After our whirlwind of a weekend (3 dates in 3 days!), I was feeling excited and optimistic about things with this guy. He appeared ready for a relationship, which was a welcomed change from the Cute Boy at the wedding who was not ready for that, and he was established in a successful career already. No multi-tasking necessary here! He does, however, have a career that demands 99% of his attention Monday through Friday (and some weekends); so I was prepared to not see him during the work week and did not expect him to text or call during the day either. So imagine my surprise when I got a text from him Monday morning at work saying that he would like to take me out for my birthday (that was the following week)! After some discussion we decided to go out the following weekend, but definitely to see each other before then! If that was shocking, I was completely unprepared the following day when he suggested we go out mid-week for dinner and perhaps a slumber party. An innocent slumber party! Get your minds out of the gutter! He suggested that I could stay at his place since we were planning to have drinks and could go to work from there in the morning, he even offered to sleep on the couch if this was the case. I was impressed by his forethought and his suggestion to go out despite his busy work week. Of course I said yes and looked forward to seeing him again. 

Our mid-week date night arrived, we met at his apartment, walked around the neighborhood (literally, we went in a giant circle) and we had delicious dinner that solidified that he was a guy I could really date. For one....Sushi? Yes, please! Second, we sat down and I was so hungry that I couldn't decided what I wanted...so he ordered for us! I know this is old-fashioned, but I love it, especially if he orders things that I actually like. When we ordered beer he also made a point to order something different from me just in case I changed my mind once it got there! Wow...this guy is good!

After dinner we walked back to his place and talked some more while sipping yummy wine, until it was bedtime. I decided to stay the night for, what ended up being, a fairly innocent slumber party. In the morning I woke up to him getting ready for and leaving for work...and trusting me alone in his apartment after only 4 dates. Wow...I must be good! After getting ready for work and leaving I received a phone call from him checking to see that I made it out okay and made it to work (i.e. I hadn't burnt down his apartment nor robbed him). How considerate and thoughtful of him...and definitely not what I am used to. I began to appreciate this welcome and nice change from other guys that I had dated.

That weekend we chatted a few times and realized that we were both on the same page regarding relationships. Yes we were wanting to date someone with long term potential, but wanted to take things slowly in order to establish a strong foundation for that to happen. It was during those conversations that I started to realize, I did not have the slightest clue how to "take things slow"!. What does that mean?! I work really well with deadlines and schedules and established plans....casual and non-committal is SO NOT ME! But I guess if that's what taking it slow means...I'll play that game.  

1 comment:

  1. oooo i get vicarious butterflies through your posts! i'd say taking it slow = giving yourselves a good amount of time to get to know each other without the sexual component (as that always seems to slow down the actual getting to know part)...a few months perhaps? difficult, i know...good luck? lol

    ReplyDelete