Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm Still Learning How to Play Hard To Get...

After my previous attempt at a blind date, that failed miserably, I decided to try it again. I suppose that makes me a glutton for punishment in some ways, but I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Sure I would lose a few valuable hours of my life at the very least, but at least I'd probably get a free dinner, get a little tipsy, and hopefully meet a nice guy. It's like the cliche saying about kissing a lot of frogs before finding your prince...except without any actual kissing! So I set up a date with a guy who lives in the City and I crossed my fingers that another used car salesman wouldn't show up.


Date night arrived and I sat waiting at a restaurant that I had never been to...but seemed good. While waiting I realized that blind dates are so awkward...I was sitting there waiting for someone that I had never met and had only talked to on the telephone a handful of times. I had no idea what he looked like, besides a few pictures he had sent, but those easily could've been cut out of a magazine, photo-shopped, and sent over. I had never been to this restaurant, and quite frankly, never really ventured into this neighborhood in general. With all of these thoughts racing through my head, I decided I needed a drink. So I texted him to let him know that I was here, waiting, and would probably be tipsy before he arrived unless he arrived in the very near future. I then ordered a mango margarita. Once my margarita arrived I decided that the night wouldn't be a total loss...because this margarita was Delicious! 


He finally arrived, right off his motorcycle and looking a little windblown. Overall, not bad, and definitely not a used car salesman. :) Things were off to a good start! Things were a little awkward at first, which I guess should be expected to some extent on a blind date, with a few uncomfortable pauses in conversation. Which actually made me uncomfortable and nervous! Now I had officially ventured into uncharted territory...I don't get uncomfortable with silence! I don't get nervous with guys! I don't care what they think of me..I have more a "take it or leave it" attitude. 


We had good conversation, actually GREAT conversation, and since he had been to this restaurant before he made a few recommendations off the menu (without me even asking)...we ended up ordering the same thing and it was delicious! We sat and talked LONG after our dinner was done, eventually deciding to leave to go and get a drink somewhere else. We walked to a nearby bar, had a beer, talked some more, and before I even realized it half of the night had flown by in what seemed like a matter of minutes! He then walked me to my car, while asking about my weekend plans, and I agreed to call him the next day so that we could possibly get together. I was trying very hard to be non-committal and easy going about the entire situation (since I had already learned my lesson about being too eager and direct); in my head I was thinking "Yes! I would love to see you tomorrow!", what I said sounded more like "Sure I'll give you a call tomorrow once I know what I'm doing." We hugged, he kissed my cheek, and we said goodnight. 


It was hard to wait until the next day to call or text him...but I did! :)

2 comments: