Saturday, May 7, 2011

Does Logic get in the way of Love?

I have recently been thrust head first into the realization that men and women really are VERY different! It's not that I wasn't previously aware of this fact, but over the last couple of weeks I have been forced to do a lot of thinking, and re-discovered that besides the obvious physiological differences, men and women think very differently about the same things. If you are able to remember this fact before being completely irrational and losing your shit with the great guy your dating...then good for you and please remember you're dating a man, not a puppet. I, unfortunately, was not able to remember this tidbit before I said a few things that I regretted within moments of them leaving my lips, in what can only be described as word vomit. It all resulted in me losing the great guy that I was dating because when I needed to be understanding and rational, I was not, and I completely forgot everything that I'd ever learned about men, dating, and relationships. 


I am going to completely generalize and stereotype the population now...I acknowledge that there are always exceptions to the rule. In general, women are incredibly emotional and men are incredibly logical. These two lie on opposite sides of the spectrum and completely oppose each other. This gets tricky during the infatuation phase of a new relationship, because women are always emotionally thinking, things are not much different for them here. But men, who are usually logically thinking, tend to be emotionally driven during this initial stage of a new relationship, but once the infatuation ends and the real relationship begins their emotions go into hiding and the logic kicks back in. And this tends to cause problems in the relationship. When men go from emotional to logical, women go from emotional to confused. This change in men feels like withdrawal to women and signals disinterest to them. Instead of understanding that this is normal and healthy, women tend to push for the emotionally driven man to come back and make a second appearance. Since this is not possible, the pushing tends to just push that man away, and at an incredibly rapid pace! 


I have also learned, and re-learned, that women are incredible multi-taskers. Men are not. Again, there are exceptions to this rule, but in general women can multi-task like nobody's business while men tend to only be able to focus on one thing at a time. Men get laser sharp focus on one area of life and it gets 100% of their attention, time, and commitment...which means, that there's no room for anything else (or anyone) to get any attention, time, or commitment. This is an incredibly hard concept for women, myself included, to understand. Being a natural multi-tasker I cannot seem to wrap my brain around the idea that someone can only focus on one thing at a time. It does not make sense! I raised a child, went to graduate school, and worked full-time simultaneously...and excelled in each and every aspect of each and every thing that I did during that time! Everything in my life gets my attention, time, and commitment...I am just an expert at the balancing act that is life and can successfully juggle things that are important to me. This includes relationships with people that are important to me. Most women are also this way and it's part of why I believe that we are the superior species.  ;)  I have come to realize, however, that you can be important to a man and he can honestly hope for and see and future with you, but if he is focused on his career right now then he cannot be the man that you deserve. He is going to be giving his career 100% of himself, and unfortunately that doesn't leave anything for him to give you. It's not that he doesn't want to be that man, it's that he can't...because he is a horrible multi-tasker! 


While I know this about men and know plenty of men exactly like this..I wonder if a man meets "the one" while he is working on his career, would he recognize it? Would he make the effort necessary to keep that woman in his life while simultaneously maintaining his professional drive? Or would he pass up the opportunity of a lifetime because he was not able to multi-task? 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post...because it is so true. Generalizing or not, GREAT blog. You are an amazing woman and I have always admired you. You deserve an amazing man but just make sure you aren't pushing them away. Sometimes we have to chase the things we want in life...school, career...even love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Candance! Unfortunately I do not think that men can focus on their career and their love life. They are not able to give more than one thing their all. I have experienced this first hand and was heart broken. Maybe one day guys will be able to get this :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete